Friday, May 18, 2007

Catch-up

Wow. It's been over a month since I've posted here. I don't even know who's reading this of late, but I suppose I should get posting. Since we've found out it's a girl, the only big update is progress on our 2nd floor. If I had access to pictures now, I'd post some. But they're all on Nic's computer, so I'll have to do that maybe later this weekend. As of today, we have: drywall up and almost all mudded; a GORGEOUS tiled bathroom floor; new windows; bathroom fixtures (but not installed); and solid plans for the weekend for Nic's cousin Luke to come over and start the floors. Hopefully, by one week from today/the start of Memorial Day weekend we'll have finished floors, all floorboards and molding installed, custom bathroom vanity built and bathroom fixturs (both plumbing and light) installed. And then we'll have a bedroom we can walk through. I still can't even comprehend how great it will be to have that done.

Also some news of note, as of next week Friday, Nic and I will be married. We applied for our marriage license yesterday. Did you know that 1st cousins can marry in Wisconsin, providing they have proof of sterilization? True story. Anyway, one week from today, we'll be saying our "I do's" at the Milwaukee County Courthouse in front of my parents and brother and his mom and grandmother. Beforehand, we're going out to lunch at the Safe House. I really wanted to wait and not have 2 seperate weddings, but Nic needs health insurance and I have it. So we'll take care of this part of getting married now, and in about 2 years we'll invite all our friends and family together to get drunk off of Miller Lite and dance to Kool & The Gang's "Celebration." Details on that to begin after the baby is born.

Oh! And we started childbirth classes last week. We've gone the Bradley Method route with a fantasitc teacher. And the classes meet at my family's old church in Shorewood. Bradley Method classes focus on relaxation, proper nutrition, and exercise during pregnancy to minimize the need for too much medical intervention during birth, while also recognizing that sometimes medical intervention is necessary. I like it because it's not too granola-dippy-earth-mother-like. I want to try to have the baby without drugs, but if I need 'em, I need 'em. And that's just fine. Also, Bradley Method focuses on coach/father/partner involvement. So Nic is learning a lot about what he has to help me with along the way. We've had two classes so far and really like them.

I predict about 2 more weeks of active posting before I get bored with this blogging thing/forget for a month again. So, check back!

No comments: