Thursday, July 19, 2007

I fought the mattress and the mattress won

Sleeping. I heard it would be difficult. I heard I'd get up and pee in the middle of the night. But I had rounded the corner of 7, then 7.5 months....and it still wasn't bad. But all of a sudden, in the last week or so, I have a nightly fight with the bed.

It starts innocently enough. Maybe I fall asleep propped up on our comforter and a squishy pillow or two while I watch the Daily Show. That becomes unsuitable after a while, so I go to my favored side, the right. Snuggled up to the body pillow, shoulder purposefully wedged between head support layer #1 (folded up comforter) and head support layer #2 (pillow). Doing this I've found keeps pressure off my shoulder while cushioning it. But laying on the right side makes me sore after an hour or so. I then have to move the whole operation to the left side--the dreaded side. The side that's been making me sore for months for no good reason. Here's how that move goes:

Step One: Grasp body pillow. Fling to left side. If Nic is sleeping too close, wedge body pillow in between myself and him.
Step Two: Fling back over to right side. Grab squishy pillows.
Step Three: Sit up halfway. Fluff up squishy pillows near my head. Determine if I'll need one or two.
Step Four: Snuggle in and down by making sure shoulder is under pillow but over folded up comforter.
Step Five: Try to visualize body allignment. Try to stagger hips and shoulders so I am not laying directly on my side. This involves laying slightly on my back or laying slightly on my stomach. The latter less possible if I am unable to throw my arms out in front of me without punching my husband in the face.

All of this while not moving too quickly to get my heart going as I do want to get to sleep in my new position. This dance happens once an hour/hour and a half. From left to right. Then right to left. Until about 2 or 3am. At this point, the movement where I roll over on my back from one side to the other also rolls my heavy uterus and baby combo over my now full bladder. I think if I could just stay on the one side all night I wouldn't have the peeing problems right now. But alas, when I switch positions in the night, my bladder is roughed up like a drunk in a barfight.

I sit up and climb over Nic, often contorting myself in various unnatural poses while praying Ollie isn't sleeping on the floor right next to the bed when I blindly plop my foot down. I waddle to the bathroom and waddle back and snuggle in again going through the stages outlined above.

And then the alarm goes off.....

It takes me awhile to wake up these days because it takes me awhile to physically sit up after laying down for 8-10 hours. This morning was especially difficult. After I finally got myself into a sitting position, I was blocked in. Nic sound asleep on the outside of the bed (our bed being against a wall and I've been sleeping on the wall side), and Ollie sleeping at his feet, facing out. At the foot of our bed is an Ikea bed table on casters that can roll up to us while we are sitting up in bed or can stay at the foot of our bed. But it can't roll far enough out for me to get out of bed on the foot end. I figured my best plan of attack was to get Ollie to move. So I said, "Ollie, move!" She turned around. Looked at me. Turned back around. Put her head on Nic's feet. Ignored me. This happened....about 15 more times. So I woke up Nic to get him to move and to get him to move his dog. I scooted out of bed on my butt, much like a little kid goes down stairs on their rear...or even like the way a dog in heat gets from one side of the room to another. I then waddled to the bathroom....and began my day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, I was gonna offer up the body pillow Arno's Mom gave Whendee when she was pregnant, but then i read futher and saw you already have one. That thing basically was the only thing that let Whendee sleep.

Smashalina Jolie said...

Not only do I have a standard straight body pillow, but Nic's coworker suggested the Snoogle. It's a C-shaped body pillow. I like to describe it as a Boppy for adults. It's bendable and serves as great support when sitting up in bed watching tv, and can be wrapped around the front too. Nic's coworker called it her, "Oh, Pillow!" because she would come home from work and contently sigh, "Oh, Pillow!" while snuggling into it. It's really rad. I'm gonna suggest it to all pregnant ladies I know.