Friday, August 17, 2007

this has nothing to do with my uterus

i never said i was perfect. i will be the first to point out my deficiencies. maybe it's my midwestern humility. maybe i delight in the irony of my taste. no matter what the preferred explanation, i am going to tell you something now. and you will still respect me for it.

that said, i have become immediately obsessed with mtv's 'the hills.' somehow, it's a more guilty pleasure than 'my super sweet 16.' but i can't explain why. i've always prided myself on being able to withstand the addictions of certain swells of pop culture, while being a complete sucker for others. for example, there is some song in heavy rotation on the top 40/hip hop/pop station that a few people in the last week have asked me if i have heard yet. something about lip gloss. while i tell them that i haven't, i think smugly to myself that i only listen to npr, wmse, and radio milwaukee...nonprofit radio only of late. then i turn around and obsess over televisionwithoutpity.com's discussion boards of 'the hills.' i will judge you for your bad taste one minute, then ask you for forgiveness for my own faults. so it goes, i guess.

while we're on the topic, i've also become a tori spelling fan. in general. couldn't care less about her until she had a show on one of the lady channels. she and her husband bought and renovated a bed and breakfast in northern california while she was in her third trimester. the first season of this show was running when nic was in high gear working on our upstairs bedroom. have i mentioned all this in a previous post? let's just pretend i haven't. tori was pregnant. i am pregnant. tori and dean were trying to do renovations before the baby was born, WE were trying to finish our renovations before the baby is born. tori likes pugs. i like pugs. the gays love tori. the gays love me. i got hooked. season 2 starts soon.

No comments: