Thursday, August 23, 2007

trapped in the elevator!

i've been taking the elevator at work a lot in the last few weeks. we only have 2 stories in our building, but it's just been easier for me to do the lift instead of hiking up and down. well, today, on my way back from lunch, the lights in the elevator flickered just as i had reached the 2nd floor and i heard a noise that sounded like all the power just went out. you know...like...BWWWWWOOOOOooooooo.... (I believe that would be the phonetic representation of the power shutting off.) After a few seconds in the dark, the overhead lights came on, but the buttons for the floors weren't lit up. Dispatch for the Housing Authority and Public Safety is located in the building, so when pressed the call button for help I knew they'd be right there. Which they were. And the irony and seriousness of the only person to ever get stuck in that elevator to be pregnant old me didn't escape our public safety team. They had a special key that they used to open the doors and pryed them open manually. The car was right at the floor, so all I had to do was step out when the doors were open. This whole process took 5-10 minutes. Nothing too big. But did I also mention I'm claustrophobic? Because I am. So it was all I could do to not have a panic attack, to keep my breathing steady, and to not visualize the elevator car plummeting down the shaft. But I did it. I kept my cool. And I started sweating like a whore in church when I got out. I think the adrenaline has finally evened out and I have a good story to tell.

I'm really glad I read that blurb in one of my pregnancy books on how to deliver your own baby! No one's ever gonna make fun of me for needing to feel prepared ever again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"What is your babys name?" Scout asks.
"Lola" I say
"giggle giggle"
"whats so funny?"
"I don't know"

She recognizes your blog and will ask me to tell her more about aunt beths baby if she sees me on it, she likes all the dots too.

It is so crazy to me that my three year old is starting to grasp the internet. and begs to play games on it already too!

Hope all is well!
love ya

Smashalina Jolie said...

scout's old enough to babysit now, right?

(i kid, i kid. we should at least wait until scout is 6 to take care of my child)

Anonymous said...

"The big one is watching the little one!"