Monday, February 26, 2007

snack time

I found a new treat for myself today. I was at Beans and Barley doing my now typical mid-day lunch indecision dance. However, it's not always at Beans and Barley. Sometimes it's really just me driving around the east side until I can discern whether I am destined to another day of Qdoba, or something less heavy. But I digress.

I saw that they carry this brand of Greek yogurt I remember eating when I was in Greece. I had to have it as a late day snack. I just finished it and it's as good as I remember. Never had Greek yogurt? Well, let me tell you that you are not a real yogurt eater until you've had this stuff. Your fruit-added, overly sweet, low-fat, fruit on the bottom, Splenda-laced diet food mumbo jumbo that we all prefer to buy at the grocery store is nothing on a containter of sturdy Greek yogurt. First of all, it's thick. I can't even think of an adequate comparison. Thicker than any yogurt I can think of, thicker than custard....it's in a class by itself. And it is sour. Terribly sour. And there is TWELVE GRAMS OF FAT IN A SMALL CONTAINER. You heard me. This is not for the faint of heart. But the kind I bought today had a little side compartment of honey to drizzle over.

Greek honey tastes different than any honey I've had here. Not better. Not worse. Just different. The bees are different, you know. And I'm an expert. Not solely because I spent a month in Greece, but because my time spent there was primarily spent getting day drunk on cheap white wine and napping on the beach watching the bees. It was a stressful existance, I know. Nonetheless, I watched a lot of bees and ate a lot of yogurt and honey. And pistachios, but that's perhaps another blog.

I know I'm supposed to be upping my calcium and protein in these crucial months. And I'm going to be gaining lots of weight anyway. So I don't give a hoot about eating 5 ounces of something that should really provide nearly half my daily fat allowance.

Now if I can only find Greek pistachios, I would be in heaven.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yay, day drunk! looking forward to the day we can do that again, ms.

Unknown said...

I just ordered you some greek pistachios, mama smash. :)