Monday, March 19, 2007

Website of the day and maternity clothes shopping

Awesome website of the day: http://searchwithkevin.prodege.com/

What is it? It's a Kevin Federline internet search engine that lets you simultaneously search the interweb while entering to win prizes....like going to Kevin Federline's birthday party. If you don't know that this is amazing, you're glad I told you. For those of you who don't understand my whimsy and irony, perhaps you could know that this is a different kind of awesome than the Hacked Ikea site I mentioned in the last few posts. But if I have to explain anymore, this website is going to lose it's magic. Do yourself a favor and use it today. Happy Monday.

Well, I've successfully completed a maternity clothing shopping spree with my mother and I didn't cry once. This is not to say that shopping with my mother is unpleasant. On the contrary. It is extremely pleasant. Buying fat pants and shirts is unpleasant. And I don't care how many of you counter my fat talk with protests of "You're not fat, you're pregnant!" When you navigate gingerly through life dancing on the line between sanity and complete body-image induced depression and anxiety, the notion of gaining a certain 20-30 lbs is frightening. For this reason, I have not been posting pictures of any sort of belly progression. Not that there has been much of a belly progression, but the idea of photographing my bare and growing abdomen and either posting said photos here or emailing them out to select friends and family is an idea I find absurd, offensive, scary, and unnecessary. If you see me in person between now and September 6-ish, you'll see how pregnant I am. However, I would be more than happy to send anyone pictures of my belly if they then agree to take weekly pictures of a selected area of their body that they feel most self conscious about. If you are my doctor or fiancee, you will see my belly first hand quite a bit. Perhaps I'll feel more loose-lipped and comfortable with these body image issues as I progress. But don't hold your breath.

I will tell you that panel pants, though earlier feared, are now my most favorite things ever. It's like wearing dressy pajamas to work. I will also tell you that few stores out there have decent maternity sections. Kohl's and Target were a bust. 3 racks of clothes each. Target has a lengthy selection online, but not much in the stores. If I had an entrepreneurial spirit, I'd open up a shop for fashionable maternity clothes for the upscale and hipster parents in Milwaukee. But I just don't care quite that much.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here's a site for upscale hispter pregettes:
http://www.duematernity.com/

But here's something even more useful, or so I think:
http://www.bellaband.com/bellaband.html
Vendor in Milwaukee:
http://www.bellaband.com/stores/wisconsin.html